Sunday, August 31, 2008

Done!



Gnarled Oakwoods is done! This ended up feeling like a bit of a marathon, but an enjoyable one. The vine pattern in the middle of the stole never quite managed to make sense to me, so I had to invoke a reasonable amount of concentration to execute it. This meant that I didn't work on it nearly as often or as long as I could have.

I can't recommend this enough. Seriously. The pdf I bought from the Twist Collective is fab. As an extra special bonus, there are no mistakes in the charts, so no worries about getting into the weeds without a map! Kind of sad to be commenting on the fact there's nothing wrong with a pattern, but, hey, I struggled through the technical abomination that was the Spicy Fitted Tee from Fitted Knits, so I know all about errata.

S6301032

Still no passport for A, but fate has proven that's not necessarily a bad thing. Chances are, we'd have booked tickets on this
airline, even though I had my suspicions they were a bit dodgy - their tickets were half the price of any others. So, we dodged a bullet on that one.

To return to my adventuring obsession mentioned in a few posts back, I discovered this documentary online about Reinhold Messner. I want to go the the Dolomites. And I want to live in a castle as well. I draw the line at climbing Everest without oxygen, though. In fact, I'm so unfit I'd probably have to have oxygen to get me to the top of a flight of stairs!

On the same website I also saw another documentary about Timothy Treadwell, the bear man of a few posts back. Gave me another, perhaps more pragmatic and less sympathetic view of his life. Snagfilm is a really good resource for little things like that. We don't have cable, so we watch a lot of online content - only from legit sites, I have a thing about the dodgy ones. Ive been reading that many companies are going to meter bandwidth usage, with some limits being set as low as 2G per month. Seems like we may end up with a big broadband bill in our future.

Edited to add: In yet more other news, we now have a fire burning in the canyon at the back of us. Joy! Fires: yet another reason to worry about the future of Southern California. It's kind of windy today, and we've not had rain in recent history, so the firefighters are on it with much gusto. Doesn't seem like it'll be too troublesome, but I'm not making any predictions after last year's fires.

1 comment:

Helen said...

The stole is lovely, and impressive. Thanks for the link to Snagfilms; I see less knitting in my future...