Sunday, August 17, 2008

Plodding Onwards

Well, knitting continues - one of the constants in life, I'm finding. There might be chaos everywhere, but I can still knit and purl myself into something resembling serenity.

I've finally finished the first half of Gnarled Oakwoods.



That's a close-up of the transition between the two main patterns. It's really pretty, but it's not really mindless knitting.

In other news - there is no news. Still no passport for A, so no firm plans to move yet. This is getting old.

Meanwhile, we're starting to say goodbye to the people we've got to know here. I had a farewell trip to the theatre last weekend with my book group. We've been getting together to discuss books that have been banned, or that people have attempted to have banned. It's been very interesting and has made me read things I would never have picked up before.

We went to see a version of a book that we read a few months ago. Big River is a musical (not my usual cup of tea), with roots in our city, so we thought it quite fitting. What made it interesting was that it was a youth company that were putting it on. Wow, they were so professional, although I suppose that's to be expected in Southern California.

I've just invested in a huge pile of knitting books and patterns to bring back to the UK. A thread on Ravelry clued me into the fact that the Barbara Walker stitch dictionaries might be harder/more expensive to come by in the UK. I get them out of the library all the time, so I decided to fork out for a full set from the Schoolhouse Press. Also, rather ambitiously, I've decided to put my mind to knitting something I've admired for years, Spider Queen. I can see it hanging from my wall in black. I'm not deluding myself; this is a project that will take a very long time, and a very large amount of effort. We'll see how daunted I feel when the chart arrives in the mail.

1 comment:

teabird said...

That is a beautiful pattern - now I can see how the pattern changes.
Just lovely.