Friday, February 22, 2008

Simple Pleasures, or how Elizabeth Zimmermann could bankrupt Big Pharma when it comes to anxiolytics

Well, we had another trip to Urgent Care last night, not for F this time, but for his accident-prone father. It's a long story that involved much swearing and frustration on my part, but he's fine. It was just a soccer injury (a broken nose, nothing too dramatic), but a chain of circumstance meant that there was an ENORMOUS hassle about it. The kiddos didn't get into bed until 9.30, which led to a (rainy) day of crazy crankiness from everyone. Plus, as the resident insomniac in the family, I felt it was my duty last night to wake up at 2am. I stayed that way until everyone got up at 6.30, when I promptly fell into a deep, wonderful, yet painfully only 10 minute sleep.

Anyway, onto knitting. I've been coming to the realisation that I use knitting as a form of therapy. As anxieties increase, so does my knitting. It also seems to correspond to my drive to clean the house. At least my neuroses are productive. Thoughts of our pending international move have begun to be more intrusive, so my knitting pace has picked up.

This is my first EPS Sweater. Suitably small, I know, but I wasn't going to chance anything bigger. I made it a bit large on purpose - sweater season in SoCal is so brief that I wanted it to fit next season as well.




I love the elegance of the simple arithmetic that produces the finished garment. I love the yarn: Lamb's Pride Superwash Worsted in Rose Quartz. I'm going to make another ASAP, but a bit less plain this time. And because I had to do some maths to make the pattern, I felt much more accomplished and ordered than just plugging away at a usual pattern. So I've decided that it's official: Elizabeth Zimmermann cures my anxiety.

1 comment:

Jean said...

Wait'll you get to the stage in life where you sit up knitting at 3 a.m. -- waiting for a teenager to come home! Even then, knitting helps.