Friday, July 4, 2008

New projects

I'm writing this to the dulcet tones of fireworks booming overhead. Unsurprising, really, considering it's the 4th of July. R has taken F out to the High School to see them. I'm staying behind with a (hopefully) sleeping A.

I thought I'd update on some new projects.

Firstly, there's the ongoing project, Moving: The International Edition. It looks like we're going home in September, as our tenants will be leaving then. We've been organised enough to get A her American passport, and we're currently waiting on her UK one. Flights are extortionate. Shipping is extortionate. As we can't do anything about the price of flights, we're having to cut back on shipping costs. Which of course means that we're having to dispose of the vast majority of our things again. Last time was very traumatic - I was immediately post-partum and we got rid of a lot of things I wish we had found a way to keep. This time I'm ahead of the game, because I didn't buy too many things while we were here with the intention of keeping them. Still, it's very unsettling to go through the whole rigmarole again. We start in earnest this weekend when the Great Cleansing of the Garage begins. Did I mention that we're moving from a three-bedroomed detached house with garden to a one-bedroomed flat above a pub and a (not quite legit) massage parlour? With two adults and two kids.

Happier things. This is a quickie. I took up the drop spindle a few weeks ago. I finally managed to produce some yarn I thought I could do something with. So I'm starting a scarf.



It doesn't look like much now, but hopefully, it'll get better with length and blocking.

And then there's the new blanket, which is galloping along.




R and F have just returned. My brave and fearless four-year old from the County Fair has morphed back into his more timid incarnation. The fireworks were too loud for him, and he wanted to come home. He wouldn't even come outside and watch from our front garden (which is two miles away). God help him when we're back in Edinburgh - we live right at the bottom of the Castle and the fireworks..well... lets just say we get a grand view of them, but it's a bit noisy!

No comments: