Monday, July 21, 2008

Weekend update

So this is what I did with my free time at the weekend. I finally finished this albatross that has been lurking around waiting for a zip forever.



This is the Olive Branch Hoodie. I finished its acres of stocking stitch a few weeks ago, but was intimidated by the prospect of hand-sewing a zip in. Much to my surprise, I found the zip-fitting not too taxing. Unfortunately, I made the damn thing too wide. It's quite short, so it should be closer fitting, and it just looks odd. So it is with regret that it gets donated to charity. And will no doubt become felted the first time the buyer washes it.

This is my other finished object from the weekend. It's much more satisfying.



This is Anais from Norah Gaughan Vol 1 for Berrocco. I found this quick and fun to knit, although if I had to do it again, I'd knit the smallest size (I appear to be having a bit of body dysmorphia after having A, as I seem to think I'm still getting the pregnancy weight off. If it's the same as when I had F, as soon as I stop breastfeeding her I'll put on at least 10 pounds, and then I'll be the size I think I am now.)



This is my favourite part. The insert is knitted separately, then sewn in. I was initially skeptical that I could do it neatly enough, but I think it looks more complicated than it really is.




I also managed to watch a film, by myself, with no interruptions. I'm now the last person on earth to have seen Iris. I think that it's worthy of a blog post for itself later in the week. Then in the evening, R and I watched Grizzly Man, which is also worthy of a post by itself when my brain hasn't been macerated by the grind of daily life.

On that note, when I dropped F off at nursery school this morning, or rather when I attempted to drop him off, I was told that his class had been canceled for the session (10 weeks). No reason given. Just, "It's not on any more, bye". Great. Poor F. We'll be going home before the next session starts, so he won't get a chance to say goodbye to his friends. It's also too late to try and enroll him in any other preschool programme (not to mention expensive - it runs at about $30-60 for each 3 hour block). He only attended 2 mornings a week, but he really liked it. Plus, I worry about him being immersed in the rough and tumble of the Scottish education system. Theoretically, he could go into Primary 1 when we return, but having no real preschool experience, and not being naturally drawn to the more academic side of learning (if it's not a car or lego, he's not interested), we were planning on keeping him out this academic year - thankfully possible because of his January birthday. I'm hoping we can cobble-together some sort of education for him when we go back, I just wasn't expecting to have to scramble to find something for him while we were still here.

Enough moaning. I'm going off to attempt my new project. Details to follow.

1 comment:

Helen said...

I couldn't bring myself to watch Iris. And I started to watch Grizzly Man and then couldn't bear it because I knew what was going to happen, so I skipped the end. Pathetic, I know.